Sunday, October 10, 2010

My possibly pretentious first blog

To be perfectly honest, I never really got the appeal of blogs. To me, it seemed like keeping a diary that anyone could open and read. And, having kept several diaries and journals in my life, the things I wrote in them weren't anything I wanted anyone to read...ever. Seriously, I can be a total bitch when I think no one's listening. But the idea of putting my thoughts, when it comes to films, out into the world seems to be a good idea. Actually, it was suggested to me. By several people who were probably tired of hearing me ramble on about this stuff. So here it is, my blog about movies. Specifically horror movies. But before I begin, there are a few things I need to admit.
First of all, I never used to watch horror movies. I remember being four years old and watching 'Ghostbusters', and the scene where Peck shuts off the containment unit, and all the ghosts escape scared the crap outta me. Don't judge, I was four. When my sister and I were kids, we'd watch 'Are you afraid of the dark?' (I totally was), and she would insist on turning off all the lights in the house while we watched it.   The scariest movies I watched growing up were 'Tremors' and 'The Witches'. So how did I go from chicken shit to self-proclaimed scream queen and horror afficionado? The credit for that goes almost entirely to my high school best friend, Karen Lupe. She adored horror movies, and forced me to expand my cinematic palette. I have devoured film after film ever since, watching things that made me laugh, cringe with fear and disgust, and pull my feet off the floor, lest there be monsters under the couch. I know, I'm a little dramatic.
The second thing I need to admit is that I have a very open mind. I believe that anything is possible until absolutely proven otherwise. I have learned, though my time studying the horror genre, that it never does you any good to be skeptical. If you're totally, 100% convinced that something isn't real, guess what? It's right behind you, and is about to kill you.
Made you look!

No comments:

Post a Comment